Permits and Visas

Entering Portugal

To enter Portuguese territory, all students must be bearers of a travel document i.e. a valid passport. EU nationals may use their national ID card if they have one. Border controls are in place except when travelling directly from a country which is a signatory of the "Schengen Convention". VISA holders travelling to Portugal are required to have their passports stamped at the Immigrations Bureau (Serviços de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) within three days of their arrival in Portugal (there's an office in Aveiro).

Residing in Portugal

Portuguese law welcomes the free movement of students between member states of the European Union as well as the admission of students from other countries in order to carry out study or research. All students, European and non-European, are required to apply for a residence permit if resding for more than 4 months in the country. Non-European students must have a residence VISA before they can obtain a residence permit. Please contact the Immigrations Bureau (Serviços de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) directly for further information.

Residence VISA

The residence VISA is necessary for all exchange students from countries outside the European Union ("third countries"). According to the Portuguese Communities Gateway (Portal das Comunidades Portuguesas), "For higher education mobility programmes (this visa is for third-countries nationals that reside as higher education students in a Member State and want to apply for Portugal in order to continue an already initiated study programme or to complete it with another one)", the minimum requirement for obtaining a Residence Visa is a "certificate of participation in a community or bilateral interchange programme or a certification that the person was admitted as student in a Member State for a period of at least 2 years".

Once you have arrived in Portugal, the Residence Visa must be exchanged for a Residence Permit.  Please read the Portuguese Communities Gateway (Portal das Comunidades Portuguesas) very carefully and contact the Portuguese consulate nearest you for further information.

How to obtain official supporting documents from the Unviersity

Exchange Students requiring certification from the University of Aveiro to apply for a VISA or a Residence Permit should contact the International Office of the University.

last updated 08/05/2017
This web site uses cookies without storing personal information that allows the identification of its users. By navigating in this web site you are consenting to the use of these cookies.more information
For this page to function properly you must enable JavaScript execution. If this is not possible some features may be limited.